Southern Winter League F3f 2018/19.
- Here are the dates and details of the coming Southern Winter league F3f competitions. Hopefully the weather will be much kinder to us than last year when only 2 comps were staged, one of these being at Whitesheet the other at The Long Man, Eastbourne.
- The venues for the coming competitions are Whitesheet, Butser Hill & Eastbourne.
- Whitesheet for all wind directions between NNW- S
- Butser Hill, NE winds
- Eastbourne. N winds (+ other to be confirmed asap)
- The chosen venue for each competition being dependant upon the forecast wind direction. A ‘venue & weather call’ will be made on the Friday evening before each competition, note ;- earlier if the various forecast allow. This decision will be announced / posted on the Whitesheet RFC website, the BARCS forum Southern Winter league thread, & via an email to all WRFC members.
- Competition dates ;-
- Round 1 ;- Sunday Oct 28th, – Cancelled
- Round 2;- Sunday, Nov 25th. – Cancelled
- 1 & 2 reserve;- Sunday Dec 9th. – date not req
- Round 3 ;- Sunday, Dec 23rd. – Cancelled.
- Round 4 ;- Sunday Jan 27th. – Entry to this competition is now OPEN, see below.
- Round 5 ;- Sunday Feb 24th.
- Rds 3, 4 & 5 reserve ;- Sunday Mar 10th.
- The Regional winter lg comps are the perfect introduction to this very exciting branch of our sport. Newcomers are encouraged to come along and try F3f for perhaps their first time, always being guaranteed a very warm welcome. Hints, tips & advice on model set up & flying the course are always freely given. Most sports models are perfectly suitable to use, you don’t need an expensive F3f mouldie. It is through these comps that most of us regular F3f pilots ourselves started.
- PLEASE NOTE ;-
- Whitesheet slope closure information.
- For reasons of safety, the Whitesheet slopes will be closed to all flying other than for that of the competition while F3f competitions are in progress. Competitions run from 9.00am- until / at around 5.00pm
- Thank you very much for your understanding & cooperation regarding this.
- Competition Reports :-
- Round 1 Sunday Oct 28th. – Cancelled.
- Round 2 Sunday Nov 25th ;- Cancelled
- 1 & 2 Reserve, Sund Dec 8th ;- date not required.
- Round 3, Sunday Dec 23rd ;- Cancelled.
Round 4, Sund 27th Jan;- Entry to this competition is now OPEN.
- With none of the previous rounds having been staged, I have everything crossed that we will at last get a comp in.
- The comp venue will again be dependant on wind direction, we will ‘follow the wind’ using the venues of Whitesheet, Butser hill, Eastbourne .
- Please send your entries to email@example.com, with the following details ;-
- BMFA ins number
- 2.4 or 35 meg + channel,
- Please state which venues you will travel to , Whitesheet, Butser Hill, Eastbourne, All venues . I need this info to ensure we have enough numbers for any given venue.
- I will post a venue advisory on Weds 23rd ,
- Weather call & venue confirmation 8.00pm Friday 25th.
- Stu, Whitesheet Comp Sec.
THE ENGLISH OPEN F3f, 2018.
Whitesheet Aug 18-19th.
Sponsored by South Coast Sailplanes.
- The Competition,
- Day 1;- The morning dawned with a very light drizzle in the air, this however quickly cleared enabling racing to get underway only minutes behind schedule.
- Eight rounds were flown during the day on our SW bowl. Round winners were John Treble, Paul Stubley (2 rds) Mike Shellim(2 rds) Dave Rumble, Nigel Witchalls, Andy Burgoyne.
- At the end of day one in 1st pace was Paul Stubley, in 2nd place Mike Shellim and in 3rd place was John Treble.
- Day 2;- Another full day of racing with 7 further rounds being flown. A shift in wind direction required a planned for & quickly made course move at around lunchtime.
- Round winners were Mike Shellim (2 rds) Graeme Mahoney (2 rds) John Philips, Mark Passingham, & Myself Stuart Wallace.
- The result;- Consistently accurate flying throughout the competition by Mike Shellim flying his Striborg secured him a well deserved win. Second place went to Mark Treble flying his trusty Toxic. Third place went to myself Stuart Wallace, I flew my Pitbull on day 1 switching to my Radical on day 2.
- Fastest time was John Phillips flying a Redshift, with 39.22 seconds.
Full Result table.
- Spreadsheet available here ;– https://www.barcs.co.uk/applications/core/interface/file/attachment.php?id=13454
- Thank you to our Sponsor, Peter Payne, owner of South Coast Sailplanes. http://www.south-coast-sailplanes.com/
- Since the events reintroduction back into being by the Whitesheet RFC in 2014, owner Peter’s sponsorship of this event has been truly excellent. In addition to sponsoring the events stunning ‘free flying Eagle’ trophies, Peter has very generously donated ‘cracking’ prizes to the winners. This year Peter presented winner Mike Shellim with an X models 1.5 E http://www.south-coast-sailplanes.com/x-model-blade-1-5-e-glider . I’m certain Mikes going to have a lot of fun with this.
- Peter arrived at around midday on day 2, spending the afternoon watching the final few rounds & chatting with all the pilots prior to his presenting of the trophies.
- Peter is the UK’s distributor of the excellent X models range of gliders. Models include Blade’s ,Swords, Swifts , Stingrays, Prismaray, Graecalis, Primarays & more, Pete has them all.
- On behalf of the Whitesheet RFC & all the pilots who have entered this competition since 2014, thank you so much Peter for your very highly valued ‘Cracking’ sponsorship .
- Thank you to our Supporters ;-
- Steve Webb models, https://www.stevewebb.co.uk/ https://www.servoshop.co.uk/
- Bucks Composites (owner Graeme Buckingham) https://www.bucks-composites.com/
- Ace Models https://www.acemodel.co.uk/
- BARCS . .https://www.barcs.co.uk/
- The Great Britain Slope Racing Association (GBSRA ) http://www.gbsra.co.uk
- ‘The Rosscourt’ guest house, Bournemouth. https://therosscourtbedandbreakfast.co.uk/
- Event Photos.
- Winner of the event Mike Shellim has very kindly given his permission for me to post the link to his excellent photos from the event, thank you very much Mike , https://rc-soar.smugmug.com/F3F/2018/English-Open/
The English Open F3f Charity Raffle 2018,
- Thankyou to all who supported the Charity raffle in aid of both Boodwise, & Histio UK. The total raised was an excellent sum of £260.00.
- The raffle was staged in memory of my Son Tom (aged 26), who died from both blood cancer, & a rare blood / immune system disorder in Nov 2015 .
- Who are Bloodwise, & Histio UK ? ;- Bloodwise are the UK’s blood cancer charity, they fund world class research into blood cancer. Additionally, they provide emotional & practical support to patients & their loved ones & raise awareness of blood cancer. They are there for everyone effected by blood cancer, whether its Lymphoma, Leukemia, Myloma or other blood disorder.
- Blood cancer is the 3rd biggest cancer killer in the UK, each year it claims more lives than both breast & prostate cancer.
- Blood cancer is the 5th most common cancer in the UK with over 230,000 people living with it in the UK. 38,000 people are diagnosed each year.
- To find out more about the very important work that Bloodwise do, please spare a few minutes of your time to visit their website https://bloodwise.org.uk/charity/about
- Histio UK;- Histio UK are the charity for the rare immune blood disorder Histiocytosis (HLH). This is a very serious rapidly progressive blood disorder that is very difficult to both diagnose & treat.
- Similarly, to find out about the very important work that is done by Histio UK, here is the link to their website http://www.histiouk.org/
- The raffle prizes ;- The following is a list of those who very generously & kindly donated prizes.
- Sponsor Peter Payne of South Coast Sailplanes & partner Debbie Utteridge donated two ‘Cracking’ prizes of accommodation at their Guest house ‘The Rosscourt’ in Bournemouth . https://therosscourtbedandbreakfast.co.uk/ .The prizes being a 1 night stay for 2 persons, & a 2 night stay for 2 persons.
- Steve Webb models / servo shop https://www.stevewebb.co.uk/ https://www.servoshop.co.uk / donated a £25.00 gift voucher redeemable in store.
- Graeme Buckingham https://www.bucks-composites.com/ donated a £25.00 gift voucher for his store.
- Austin, owner of Ace Models https://www.acemodel.co.uk/ & of course BARCS forum Administrator. Austin donated a voucher for a wiring harness for a NAN model OR Custom wiring harness for any model up to 4m span. harness details here ;- https://www.acemodel.co.uk/wiring-harnesses/
- BARCS are donated 5 prizes, each being a years memberships to BARCS .https://www.barcs.co.uk/
- The Great Britain Slope Racing Association (GBSRA ) http://www.gbsra.co.uk/ donated membership to the GBSRA.
- The Whitesheet RFC donated the ‘cracking’ prize of an Ahi aerobatic glider , details of this model are here ;- https://dream-flight.com/products/ahi-kit . The Ahi continues to receive rave reviews across the world, it needs no introduction or words from myself.
- Stu, Whitesheet Comp Sec.
The English Open F3f 2017 .
Winner John Philips. 2nd Tony Livingstone. 3rd Mark Treble.
Team Winners ;- Tea Swillers. pilots ;- John Philips, Erik Heijne, Mark Passingham.
Above – Winner John Philips is presented with the English Open ‘Free Flying Eagle’ winners trophie, by event Sponsor Peter Payne, owner of South Coast Sailplanes. (photo courtesy of Mike Shellim)
Above- Runner-up Tony Livingstone is presented with the English Open runners up ‘Free Flying Eagle’ trophie by Peter Payne. (Photo courtesy of Mike Shellim)
Above- Mark Treble is presented with the English Open 3rd place trophie by Peter.(Photo courtesy Mike Shellim)
Above- Winning Team ‘Tea Swillers’. Pilots -John Philips, Mark Passingham, Erik Heijne. (Photo courtesy of Mike Shellim)
- Above. 2017 Pilot Group Photo.
- Video;- Courtesy of our Club Chairman Chris Lamming ;-
(Below) Winner John Philips was on top form throughout the 2 days of the competition.
- Above ;- JP’s ‘Cracking’ haul of prizes;- English Open ‘Free Flying Eagle’ winners trophie, 1st prize of an X Models ‘Pushy cat’. both sponsored & donated by South Coast Sailplanes owner Peter Payne.
- Plus Framed English Open winners & Team winners certificates. (designed & created by WRFC Chairman Chris Lamming). Silver cup for posting the ‘Fastest time’ of the competition with a 43.14
- Here is the link to my BARCS comp report ;- Comp report
- Photo’s ;-
- Here is the link to my own photo’s from the event ;– https://www.flickr.com/photos/53568953@N02/albums/72157686356013234
- Mike Shellim, reports & photo’s
- Mike has very kindly given me his permission to include a link to his excellent Rc Soar.com website. Mike has competed in all English Open competitions, he has written his own reports & taken a ‘cracking’ set of photo’s at each event. These are viewable by following the links.
- excellent F3f pilot, Mike is very well known for his ‘Cracking’ photography skills. Thank you very much Mike
- Here then is the link to Mikes report & photo’s of the 2017 event http://rc-soar.com/gallery/2017/engopen/index.php
The English Open 2016.
- Sadly, the event was not staged during this year. .
The English Open 2015.
Winner Mike Evans. 2nd Graeme Mahoney. 3rd Martin Drewett.
Team Winners ‘Gifcof’. Pilots Graeme Mahoney, Tony Livingstone. Martin Drewett.
Above, left to right ;- Runner up Graeme Mahoney, Winner Mike Evans, 3rd Martin Drewett.
- Sponsor, South Coast owner Peter Payne was sadly unable to attend, I therefore presented Mike with the English Open winners trophie, & the ‘Cracking’ first prize donated by Peter of an X models 1.9 DS.
- Here is the link to my Barcs comp report ;- Comp report
- Here is the link to Mike Shellim’s RC Soar.com website, to view his report & photo’s ;- http://rc-soar.com/gallery/2015/eo/index.php
The English Open 2014.
Winner Mike Evans, 2nd Mark Treble, 3rd Tony Livingstone.
- Above left to right, South Coast Sailplanes owner Peter Payne, 2nd place Mark Treble, Winner Mike Evans, 3rd Tony Livingstone, Sloperacer owner Tony Fu.
- Photo’s ;- My son Sam’s ;- https://www.flickr.com/photos/127666513@N02/albums/72157647545478581 https://www.flickr.com/photos/127666513@N02/albums/72157647579615808
- Here is the link to Mike Shellim’s Rc Soar.com website, so as to view his report & photo’s;- http://rc-soar.com/gallery/2014/english_open/index.php
The event was not staged between 2008-2014
The English Open 2008.
Winner Mark Redsell, 2nd Keith Wood, 3rd Graham Reed.
- Here is the link to Mike Shellim’s Rc Soar website for his report & photo’s from 2008;- http://www.rc-soar.com/gallery/2008/eng_open/index.php
The English Open 2007.
Winner Kevin Newton, 2nd John Philips, 3rd John Bennet.
- Here is the link to Mike Shellim’s Rc Soar website for his report & photo’s from 2007;- http://www.rc-soar.com/gallery/2007/eng_open/index.php
The English Open 2006.
Winner Mike Shellim, 2nd John Bennet, 3rd John Philips.
- Here is the link to Mike Shellim’s RC soar website for his report & photo’s from 2006;- http://www.rc-soar.com/gallery/2006/eng_open/index.php
The English Open 2005.
Winner Mike Evans, 2nd Mark Southall, 3rd John Bennet.
- Here is the link to Mike Shellim’s RC soar website for his report & photo’s from 2005 ;- http://www.rc-soar.com/gallery/2005/eng_open/index.php
The English Open 2004.
Winner, Kevin Newton, 2nd Simon Hall, 3rd John McCurdy.
- Here is the link to Mike Shellim’s RC soar website for his report & photo’s from 2004 ;- http://www.rc-soar.com/gallery/2004/2004_engopen/index.php
The English Open 2003.
Winner Ken Woodhouse, 2nd Andy Ellison, 3rd, Johb McCurdy.
- Here is the link to Mike Shellim’s RC soar website for his report & photo’s from 2003;- http://www.rc-soar.com/gallery/2003/2003_eng_open/index.php
- I plan to add more information & photos for each year creating a history of the English Open F3f event. Be sure to visit again soon.
- Stu, Whitesheet Competition Secretary.