Minor correction to March Dates
Please note that the dates for the first scale event of 2019 and the March backup F3f date have been ammended and are not as advertised on the club events poster that has been sent out.
Please check the dates on the calendar and F3f pages, before setting out for Whitesheet
The correct, revised dates are
March 10th – Winter league F3f
March 17th – Scale fly in
Yikes ! 68mph W-WNW.
- On Arriving at Whitesheet at around 8.30, my wind meter showed that we had a steady 30 gusting to 35 mph W – WNW
- Andy B & I walked out in advance of everyone, to the very far end of what is known as ‘Morgans’ .
- Whilst I set about marking / measuring out the course Andy had a fly to test the conditions. Within 5 minutes of him launching the wind had picked up significantly, this I recorded as 50- gusting to 55 mph .
- Credit to Andy, he stuck with it for several more minutes in what would best be described as being a bit of ‘challenging air’ lol.
- After a few more minutes of being truly battered by the wind, Andy’s quick & crisp footwork to keep his balance would have scored him a perfect 10 on ‘Strictly’ lol
- While taking a further windmeter reading it had now averaged a steady 55 – 60, with a highest measured gust of 68 mph THUD !
- By now watching Andy’s deft footwork to keep himself upright was like watching Michael Flatley in Riverdance
- With the wind still picking up, Andy then brought his model around to score a perfect 10 landing .
- The result……….a round of applause to Andy B & Comp cancelled .
- Windswept Stu. Whitesheet Comp Sec.
membership fees for 2019
The BMFA have released 2019 membership fees.
The fees agreed for 2019 are as follows:
- Senior £38
- Junior £17
- Family Senior £38
- Family Partner £25
- Family Junior £13
***Renewals available from 1st December 2018***
- Here are the dates and details of the coming Southern Winter league F3f competitions. Hopefully the weather will be much kinder to us than last year when only 2 comps were staged, one of these being at Whitesheet the other at The Long Man, Eastbourne.
- The venues for the coming competitions are Whitesheet, Butser Hill & Eastbourne.
- Whitesheet for all wind directions including & in between NNW- S
- Butser Hill, NE winds
- Eastbourne. N-E-S winds
- The chosen venue for each competition being dependant upon the forecast wind direction.
- A ‘venue & weather call’ will be made on the Friday evening before each competition, note ;- earlier if the various forecast allow. This decision will be announced / posted on the Whitesheet RFC website, the
- BARCS forum Southern Winter league thread, & via an email to all WRFC members.
- Southern Winter League Competition dates ;-
- Round 1 ;- Sunday Oct 28th, – Cancelled
- Round 2;- Sunday, Nov 25th. – Cancelled.
- Rds 1 & 2 reserve;- Sunday Dec 9th – Date not required
- Round 3 ;- Sunday, Dec 23rd. – Cancelled.
- Round 4 ;- Sunday Jan 27th 2019 – Comp staged at Whitesheet
- Round 5 ;- Sunday Feb 24th 2019 – Cancelled
- Rds 3, 4 & 5 reserve ;- Sunday Mar 10th 2019. – Comp cancelled on day due to 68mph winds !
- The Regional winter lg comps are the perfect introduction to this very exciting branch of our sport. Newcomers are encouraged to come along and try F3f for perhaps their first time, always being guaranteed a very warm welcome. Hints, tips & advice on model set up & flying the course are always freely given. Most sports models are perfectly suitable to use, you don’t need an expensive F3f mouldie. It is through these comps that most of us regular F3f pilots ourselves started.
PLEASE NOTE ;-
- Whitesheet slope closure information.
- For reasons of safety, the Whitesheet slopes will be closed to all flying other than for that of the competition while F3f competitions are in progress.
- Competitions run from 9.00am- until / at around 5.00pm.
- Visit the F3f page for full competition details .
- Stu, Whitesheet Competition secretary.
A fine finale for the Open Slopes Season
Nearly thirty pilots turned up for the last Open Slopes event of 2018
Once again we got very lucky with the weather, though the conditions at times were quite light, but a great day of flying and larks was had by all
See you for more next year!
The Thames Valley Silent Flyers Association are organising one of their get-togethers, Thursday September 6
Here is a note from Graham Stallard, Chairman of TVSF
Finally the weather appears to be co-operating. I have left calling this on until closer to the time to save calling it off. The venue will be confirmed on Tuesday/Wednesday. However the forecast is NNE to NE so the probable venue is Watership Down NE bowl.
Attached is an updated brief (click here!) on location and directions.
Look forward to flying with you Thursday. Looks like a cracker so for.